Friday, June 08, 2007

Jennifer Rocks...(and the knitting isn't half bad either)

So, M has a friend from his college days that he's still in touch with, Jennifer. Now, I've never met Jennifer, since she lives in New York, but she recently did something nice for me. She has access to some books. Lots of books, apparently. Knitting books, to be specific. So, I came home one day recently to find that she had sent me some books! Four wonderful knitting books that I had been eyeing in the book store, but wasn't sure if I should buy them. I've spent the past few weeks browsing through them, thinking of all the nice things I could knit if I just had the time. I decided the other day to put the sock knitting on hold for a bit, since I'm waiting for the Summer of Socks KAL to start on the 21st, and I want the socks I have planned to count towards that. I went back to one of the books to look for a quick project and I found this:









It's a neckwarmer. I'm going to give it to my mom, since she's always about ten degrees colder than the rest of the world. It's made from a super soft blend of wool, cashmere and micro-fiber, and my lovely and talented assistant Trish, shown here modeling it, assures me that it is not itchy at all.









The whole thing only took about and hour and a half. This book may have solved my yearly dilemma about quick knitted Christmas gifts. I have a small mountain of this yarn that I bought a few years ago with the intention of knitting a sweater. I recently realized that I have enough of this yarn to make at least two sweaters. Every one I know may end up with one of these this year. So, thanks, Jennifer! That was a really nice thing.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i know jennifer. she's ok, but her baby is adorable. you should make a babyhat and have little Veronica model it. Would increase your hits 10-fold.

Heather said...

So, you're saying that I should shamelessly promote this blog by exploiting adorable little Veronica? Hmmmm....well, let me think....how big is her head?

Jennifer Levesque said...

Ok, I must pop in and say I didn't write that first comment! That was my stepbrother. No hats are necessary! But thanks so much for the mention. I was excited.

Heather said...

Well, we don't have kids of our own for me to knit for, and I don't see that changing any time soon. If I'm ever inspired to knit wee things, I would think you'd be near the top of the list of recipients.

Mark tells me that you have my page bookmarked! How cool is that? Whenever I hear that someone is reading, I initially get a little freaked out, thinking "Oh my god, how did they find me? Are they looking at me? What are they thinking? Is my hair a mess?" Blogging is such a strange medium. It took me ages to get used to the fact that it wasn't private, and I was pretty hostile to the first few people who wandered by. Anyway, I'm glad YOU stopped by, and thanks for the link to your friends blog. I'm so jealous! She has a Hello Kitty sewing machine! Must buy one...

Jennifer Levesque said...

Alright, if you ever knit something for V (no pressure though), we'll definitely make her wear it often. And we'll be sure to include a photo (with a caption, naturally) in the next slideshow we send out to people.

My friend Angela (with the HK machine) felt the exact same way about her blog. She didn't even tell me about it for almost a year, and by then she had all these regular readers. After Mark sent me the link to yours, I actually passed it on to a few relatives and co-workers (knitting people) and they all like it a lot. One of my work colleagues was very fond of the Godzilla pics!

So, you guys should come visit NYC some time!! I haven't seen Mark since 2000, when several of us stayed at his place in Haverhill for Bradford's last graduation (cue funeral music here). You are welcome to stay in my parent's guest room in SoHo; they're never there anyway! Ok, that was my pitch...

Heather said...

Jennifer,
Mark has mentioned your invitation to me at least twice, and I mentioned it back to him yesterday. We are now actually considering seeing how much it would cost to get there. Progress is being made! I haven't been since 2004, and I know it has been longer for him. We'd really love to come, if we can figure out how to get our days off at the same time.

Jennifer Levesque said...

great!