Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I was sent home, but it was just hype


We were sent home today, with a tornado threat looming. I walk to work, and was not relishing an unwilling Mary Poppins routine (we heard that the winds might be 60-80 miles an hour). It's not my typical style to flee at the first hint of weather, but I was the first one out the door, hustling home in rain and thunder. I made it to the apartment just as the rain really started to dump, and packed up anything that might blow around on our porch. Called my better half to let him know where I was, and then sat down to watch the onset of a big whopper storm. Just in time for the sun to peek out. Honestly.

I'm not so excited about tornadoes, but I do like a good crack-boom thunderstorm. It's been so oppressively hot here, I was ready for that nastiness to go out with a bang. Nothin' doin'. I'm disappointed actually, and now rather out of sorts... I don't know what it means that that inspired me to blog, but here I am.

New pies tried: White Russian Pie (w/ bourbon and coffee brandy), White Chocolate Pie with raspberry sauce, Peaches and Cream Pie. Also a Derby Pie made by someone else, that was like liquid chocolate chip cookie - all sugar, very good.

Books I have open: Shogun (again), The New Good Cake Book, Green Housekeeping

Projects on the sticks: a felted carrot and that darn mohair wrap I just can't seem to finish

How I'm trying not to freak out about the economy: Growing a few of our own herbs and veg, making our own laundry detergent (from the Simple Dollar blog, great stuff!), stocking up on the basics when I can afford them (flour, rice), trying not to lose sight of the forest for all the green marketed trees

After-work beverage of choice: Otter Creek's Otter San - Japanese style beer brewed with sake yeast

2 comments:

Heather said...

I was thinking about you guys the other day when I was watching the regional weather. We were never in the tornado warning area, but we got some hail the other night along with a spectacular thunderstorm in the wee morning hours.

I think I'm going to need the recipe for that White Chocolate Pie with raspberry sauce. I'm making my old stand by Key Lime for my dad this weekend and a peanut butter pie for Mark's dad.

Hey, in other news, I'm starting that new position on Monday. I'll think of you sitting on your stoop eating lunch while I'm sitting on MY stoop eating lunch!

Kate said...

i realize how lucky i am to be able to go home and eat leftovers, take a power nap, read a book, start dinner in the crock pot... it's 40 minutes at home that's all mine, and i've become completely spoiled by it. welcome to the club!!

ironically enough, i'm not going home for lunch today, but i'll email you the pie recipe when i get home this evening. it's very simple, and really, really good.