Sunday, April 13, 2008

If Not Now, When?

Never, that's when.

If I don't start writing blog posts right now it will just keep getting harder and harder to come back.

So many factors have conspired to prevent me from blogging. There are many times during the week that I will think of something or see something and compose a little post in my head. That's as far as it usually gets. By the time I get home, I'm usually exhausted and don't feel like writing. I did all the work to think of it, why don't you just read my mind? Thanks, that would be much easier.

Another thing that often keeps me from posting is my fear of not meeting expectations. I start to feel sort of hemmed in by the parameters of this blog, feeling like I need to talk about knitting, or cooking, or some sort of catastrophe. Thinking that most of the things that I feel like writing about don't really fall into any of those categories. Feeling like what I write should be funny or sarcastic or at least some sort of wry observation. To be honest, there hasn't been a whole lot of funny in my life for the past six months or so. My sense of humor has let me down quite a bit lately, and I'm not used to that. I feel that by posting an entry that is not about any of the expected things or if just isn't funny, I'm letting someone down.

It occurred to me this weekend that this is in fact my blog. My place to write whatever the hell I want. And I want to write stuff. It isn't going to be pretty, and it probably isn't going to be funny. It might be about knitting, it might be about the Stanley Cup playoffs, it might be about the Red Sox, it might be about a book I just read, it might be about the tricycle riding demon that lives downstairs or the ass who cut me off on the way to work. I don't know. I don't care anymore. I just felt like saying hi, and maybe I'll keep stopping by.

3 comments:

ccr in MA said...

It certainly is your blog. Write whatever you want to. As you wish, m'lady... Hi.

(It seems clear that I'm in a silly mood tonight.)

jess said...

Is it the drag of winter that has kept our wits dormant? I, too, am feeling un-funny. Stresses of work, home and life in general take their toll. I'm hoping that my evening out with friends (waiting till Friday!) and then my trip north (!!) will bring the funny back into my life.

Heather said...

Thanks ccr, sometimes I forget that it can be good to write my way out of things. I have to admit to having a Princess Bride flashback reading your comment..."as you wish.." I wish more people would respond to me that way! How 'bout the Bruins? At least they're not getting swept by Montreal this year.

Jess, I'm hoping that spring does help. It can't hurt, in any event. Don't forget to let me know when you'll be here...